Jan 8 – Feb 8, 2017 WINTERNSHIP !
A rich program with hands-on skills & classroom training. This is a one of the most popular courses at Strawbale Studio ! A chance to continue your learning during the winter-time. Live and learn with others who are interested in natural building & sustainability.
Join in the living and learning at Strawbale Studio this Jan 8 thru Feb 8. Held on beautiful wooded rural land 1 hour north of Detroit Michigan, U.S.A , this program includes room & board, all materials and classes.
In this favorite program, students will participate in hands-on & classroom learning ~including classes in design, workshops in round pole framing, earth plaster, thatching & reed collection and rocket stoves, plus much more.
Participants will go home with a wide skill set in basic natural building, reference materials, and increased confidence to apply to future building projects.
The 1 month Wintern Program is $850 if prepaid 1 month in advance or $950. Some 1/2 Pay Worktrade options are available at $425/475 . Click the link for an application form and more information. Contact: text or call Deanne Bednar for further questions at 248 236 5432 We are offering a significant Early Bird discount to those who register and pay by December 8.
Details at WINTERNSHIP !
Winternship 2015 Crew
JANUARY WEEKEND WORKSHOPS
- for the Public, and included in the Winternship
Details below and at the links.
Thatching: Jan 14-15,
Round Pole: Jan 21+22,
Rocket Stove: Jan 28+29,
Earth Plaster & Sculpting Feb 5+6.
JANUARY WEEKEND WORKSHOPS
- THATCHING & REED COLLECTION : January 14 & 15, 2017. Arrive 9:30a. Class 10a – 5p. Learn the basics of thatching with reed grass. Explore this beautiful, ecological & long-lasting roof system. Tour several thatched roof buildings, see a demo of thatching and try your hand at it, harvest & bundle/store reed. 12 student limit. A unique weekend. One of the few classes offered in North America on Thatching ! Group discounts. $95 1 week in advance or $110 thereafter. Some scholarships.
ROUND POLE FRAMING : January 21 & 22, 2017 Sat 10 – 5, Sun 10 – 4p
Learn principles & hands-on basics of round pole framing for small structures. Tour thatched roofs & round pole structures on site, harvest wood, debark logs, practice making notches using hand tools ~ make a mallet to take home plus a small team project & design a small structure. Limited to 12 participants; includes overnight accommodations if needed. $89 if prepaid 2 wks in advance, or $110 thereafter, with RSVP, if there is room. Some scholarships available.
Instructors: Deanne Bednar & Micah Lindquist
FIRE ! Rocket Stove & Earth Oven January 28 & 29, 2017
Sat 10a-5p Sun 10-4p Create useful heat efficiently from local materials ! Fee Includes a copy of the new edition of the Rocket Mass Heater Book. Tour buildings & Stoves on site, Hands-on: mockup of combustion unit, mixing cob & finish plaster, make a small earth oven together. Principles of construction, code+. Bring a bag lunch. Supper/breakfast provided if you stay overnight. $125 for both days prepaid 2 wks in advance, or $150 if there is room. Saturday only $80/$90 with RSVP. Some Worktrade Scholarships available. Instructor, Deanne Bednar
EARTH PLASTER & SCULPTING February 5+6, 2017
Arrive 9:30a. Class 10 – 5p Sun 10 – 4p Learn the joy of natural earthen plasters that can be used in a variety of applications to beautify and naturalize your existing dwellings or future natural strawbale home or Earth Oven project ! Learn to identify, mix & apply natural local soil to create simple or artistic expressions. Bring a bag lunch. Overnight available. $95 Early Bird Special 2 weeks in advance or $120 thereafter.
Instructor Deanne Bednar: Illustrated the Hand-Sculpted House book and The Natural Plaster Book. 20 years experience with basic earth plasters and sculpting !
2017 Season INTERNSHIPS & Worktrade, Wwoofer. April through October.
Attend 1 month or more. CONNECT to the land, work with natural materials, live & build in community ! Immerse yourself in a one month learning experience which includes a wide variety of hands-on skills and classroom subjects in design & construction. Focus on earth plaster and building surrounds. Live & learn on-site with others, in a beautiful rural wooded setting 1 hr n of Detroit.
- APRIL – VOLUNTEERS/ WOOFERS welcomed.
- MAY INTERNSHIP / 1/2 Pay Work Trade / Wwoof
- JUNE INTERNSHIP / 1/2 Pay Work Trade / Wwoof
- JULY INTERNSHIP & 1/2 Pay Work Trade only
- AUGUST INTERNSHIP / 1/2 Pay Work Trade / Wwoof
SEPTEMBER INTERNSHIP / WORKTRADE / WWOOF
- JANUARY 2018 WINTERNSHIP Similar to previous years: 2016 Winternship Activities List Winternship 2016: Thatching Winternship 2016: Week 1 2015 Winternship Outline & Schedule Winternship 2015 Blog & Pics